Emily Jewkes, a health educator at the Bear River Health Department, shares some great tips on traveling with medication. It is the time of year when we gather with others and often we forget about medication safety tips. Keep everyone safe and have a healthy holiday season by following these tips!
- Pack medicines last to ensure they are not left out and within reach of young children while packing.
- Keep medicine in child-resistant containers.
- If packing an oral medicine, bring the dosing device that came with it.
- Ensure the bag that has the medication is not stored by children.
When you get there:
- Find a safe place, up and away and out of sight and reach of young children.
- Keep all over-the-counter and prescription medicines up and away, and out of sight of young children.
- Vitamins & supplements – including those in gummy form – should also be kept up and away.
- There are many products like diaper rash creams and even eye drops that can be harmful if kids get into them. Keep these products out of reach and sight of children.
- Program the Poison Help Number into your cell phone: 1-800-222-1222.
(Source: Safe Kids Worldwide)